Author Topic: Unihog  (Read 80 times)

Smithy2503

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Unihog
« on: 16 March, 2019, 12:47:16 PM »
Ive got the plans and off to collect the wood to start building a unihog later today- i can’t seem to find aby threads or youtube videos etc on anybody that has built one? It isn’t even on the model list on this forum!
Ive seen 1 video of a dutch one but other than that there is nothing- have i chosen an unpopular one?

Its for my son’s 3rd birthday in July but my twin daughters (currently 1) will be usin git too.

Any links or tips?

59joe

• View Profile
Re: Unihog
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »
Hi Smithy,
I've just built a jeep and it's one of their more complicated models. If you follow the plans you won't go wrong. ( judging by the jeep plans) . If you are doing a standard build and using toylander motors and drives it will be fairly straight forward. If you go the mobility scooter route as I've done, it's a little more complicated. If you go that route and are handy with diy this can be a rewarding and sometimes cheaper option to take as you can use the motor/transaxle, wigwags, batteries and electrics. I've even modified the front axle and used that on my build. There are lots of posts and pictures on this site. Dad needs a hobby has some really helpfull pictures and descriptions on this build posts and has helped me with advise when asked.
Good luck with the build and if you have questions post them or PM me I'll help if I can.
Regards, Andy
« Last Edit: 17 March, 2019, 11:53:14 AM by 59joe »
59joe
If you make something idiot proof someone will invent a better idiot!😋

Smithy2503

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
thank you- i was fairly set on using the toylander motors but do worry that being limited to 4mph may get boring for my kids after a while and whether they will be powerful enough to pull myself, 3 kids and a trailer-especially as the unihog looks a bit bigger than the others (the reason i've chosen it)...its an expensive way to find out if they don't  :'(

I'm fairly confident in my diy skills but have no access to a lathe or anybody in order for the unihog wheels to fit onto a scooter transaxle.

I went to buy the 12mm MR MDF yesterday to start building today only to find out none of the big brands ( b and q and wickes) sell it and the places that do shut at midday on saturdays and closed sundays so i will be starting after work tomorrow now  :'(

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2019, 07:15:43 AM »
Hi Smithy
Im looking forward to seeing a Unimog being built. It can be hard to give advice to new builders because everyones budget, skill level and expectations seem to vary a lot on here.

The most important thing is that you enjoy the build and your kids enjoy using it.

Would be great if you can find the time to do a build diary.

Peter
« Last Edit: 18 March, 2019, 04:25:48 PM by dad needs a hobby »

Smithy2503

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2019, 07:10:21 PM »
I was told Landrovers have caused the family to lose enough money so I can build anything but a landy!

I will try to do a diary of sorts...i do photography (weddings) at weekends so tend to take pictures of everything.

After looking at some forum posts it looks like you can order different sprocket sizes to change the gearing when ordering the wheels...i may consider this as i'm not planning to use it on public roads so don't need it to be 4mph.