Author Topic: Unihog  (Read 399 times)

Smithy2503

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Unihog
« on: 16 March, 2019, 12:47:16 PM »
Ive got the plans and off to collect the wood to start building a unihog later today- i can’t seem to find aby threads or youtube videos etc on anybody that has built one? It isn’t even on the model list on this forum!
Ive seen 1 video of a dutch one but other than that there is nothing- have i chosen an unpopular one?

Its for my son’s 3rd birthday in July but my twin daughters (currently 1) will be usin git too.

Any links or tips?

59joe

• View Profile
Re: Unihog
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »
Hi Smithy,
I've just built a jeep and it's one of their more complicated models. If you follow the plans you won't go wrong. ( judging by the jeep plans) . If you are doing a standard build and using toylander motors and drives it will be fairly straight forward. If you go the mobility scooter route as I've done, it's a little more complicated. If you go that route and are handy with diy this can be a rewarding and sometimes cheaper option to take as you can use the motor/transaxle, wigwags, batteries and electrics. I've even modified the front axle and used that on my build. There are lots of posts and pictures on this site. Dad needs a hobby has some really helpfull pictures and descriptions on this build posts and has helped me with advise when asked.
Good luck with the build and if you have questions post them or PM me I'll help if I can.
Regards, Andy
« Last Edit: 17 March, 2019, 11:53:14 AM by 59joe »
59joe
If you make something idiot proof someone will invent a better idiot!😋

Smithy2503

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
thank you- i was fairly set on using the toylander motors but do worry that being limited to 4mph may get boring for my kids after a while and whether they will be powerful enough to pull myself, 3 kids and a trailer-especially as the unihog looks a bit bigger than the others (the reason i've chosen it)...its an expensive way to find out if they don't  :'(

I'm fairly confident in my diy skills but have no access to a lathe or anybody in order for the unihog wheels to fit onto a scooter transaxle.

I went to buy the 12mm MR MDF yesterday to start building today only to find out none of the big brands ( b and q and wickes) sell it and the places that do shut at midday on saturdays and closed sundays so i will be starting after work tomorrow now  :'(

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2019, 07:15:43 AM »
Hi Smithy
Im looking forward to seeing a Unimog being built. It can be hard to give advice to new builders because everyones budget, skill level and expectations seem to vary a lot on here.

The most important thing is that you enjoy the build and your kids enjoy using it.

Would be great if you can find the time to do a build diary.

Peter
« Last Edit: 18 March, 2019, 04:25:48 PM by dad needs a hobby »
If i can do it anyone can.

Smithy2503

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2019, 07:10:21 PM »
I was told Landrovers have caused the family to lose enough money so I can build anything but a landy!

I will try to do a diary of sorts...i do photography (weddings) at weekends so tend to take pictures of everything.

After looking at some forum posts it looks like you can order different sprocket sizes to change the gearing when ordering the wheels...i may consider this as i'm not planning to use it on public roads so don't need it to be 4mph.

Smithy2503

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March, 2019, 09:46:32 PM »
Ive got the wood and drawn all the pieces onto it so will start cutting soon :-)

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2019, 07:01:46 AM »
Ace, cant wait to see it coming along

Smithy2503

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 March, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »
I am taking pictures and will look at joining a hosting site soon so that I can post them.

Spudmurphy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »
i can’t seem to find aby threads or youtube videos etc on anybody that has built one? It isn’t even on the model list on this forum!

It's not just me then  ;D

I've recently started a Unihog build too.  Currently at the stage cutting MDF to size, I'm about halfway through that and should get on to shaping and assembling the tub in a couple of weeks.  Offspring has just turned 2 so pressure is on to get it built andnd her in it.

I look forward to seeing some pictures of your build and will return the favour and start a build thread of my own.

Spud

Smithy2503

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2019, 07:48:15 PM »
Hi, i've just finished cutting out the mdf pieces and will be painting them with sealer tomorrow. I have been taking pictures but haven't joined a hosting site yet so it won't let me upload any- even my phone pictures are too large!

I look forward to seeing your build  :)

Smithy2503

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2019, 08:23:43 PM »
Here goes my first 'picture' post...

I drew out all the panels that required '2 of' first so that i could cut them out at the same time with the jigsaw and therefore be exactly the same, and then filled any spaces with other panels.
Once i've cut all the double panels out I will use the remaining board to do the last 4 that i need.
I used a bit  of scrap wood to screw the panels together in a few places (in between the drawings so as not to put holes in them) and clamps on the corners and extra ones around  the edges to keep them tight together.
I then drilled any holes that needed drilling through both.
Using the jigsaw I carefully cut out the panels, moving the clamps as needed to keep them tight together.

If these pictures work i will start using my good camera and documenting it properly (i do wedding photography at weekends so normally cringe at people using their phone to take pictures!)

« Last Edit: 10 April, 2019, 08:31:52 PM by Smithy2503 »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2019, 07:04:14 AM »
Looking good so far. Good idea cutting 2 sheers at once, iv never thought of doing that have to give it a go

59joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 April, 2019, 07:24:40 AM »
Hi Smithy,
Looking good, that's a nice nesting of parts. Also good idea to cut the doubles together. I drew mine on cad then used a friends cnc router but not everyone has that advantage. Just watch that the jigsaw is cutting square or one piece will be bigger. Another method is to cut one and use it with a bearing guided router bit to cut the second one. It's a little more work but then the pieces are exactly the same. Keep posting pictures were all happy to see other peoples builds and we learn from each other.
59joe
If you make something idiot proof someone will invent a better idiot!😋

Smithy2503

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 April, 2019, 07:57:59 PM »
So i've had a busy week with my car breaking so not had much time on the build but heres what i've been upto...

Finished cutting out the panels- i had made a quick table out of random wood and deliberately left it with no top on as I found it useful to be able to move the clamps around and cut in the middle sometimes.

Sealed all the panels using Rustins.

Put a top on the table and found a vice lying around so added that in case it might be useful.

Used the router i've had for years for the first time ever and wished i'd used it for more stuff before now as it was so quick and easy- i used my steel ruler and some clamps as a guide as the guide that came with the router was a faff and started too far away from where i wanted to be.

Started on the batten- could not get 19x19mm anywhere but the book says the size varies between 18mm and 23mm anyway so i got some 20mmx20mm from Wickes...they only had 3 lengths though so i'm now at a standstill until next week when they get more in. I used gorilla glue in between batten and mdf.

Thats about it for now!

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 April, 2019, 07:29:01 AM »
Hi Smithy
Looking great so far, great pics too.

Peter