Author Topic: Steering wheel  (Read 245 times)

Daza1234

• View Profile
Steering wheel
« on: 12 March, 2019, 07:33:10 PM »
What's the best non toylander steering wheel alternative before I buy a toylander one just trying to save money and has anyone made their own steering column if so what size of thread bar and shallow steel tube was used thanks

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
Re: Steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2019, 08:52:30 AM »
Hi Dazza
Personally id buy the Toylander wheel, they aren't expensive and Iv never seen anything that looks better scale wise. At the end of the day Toylanders that have been built on a budget never seem to look as good as the ones that haven't.

The material needed to make the steering column will be in the manual. They are not easy to make tho because when you weld the brackets on to the over sleeve it can stop the threaded bar sliding in

My engineering guru slides a copper bar inside the sleeve then welds on the bracket to stop heat distorting the inside of the sleeve. After welding he removes the copper bar.

If i can do it anyone can.

Daza1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2019, 05:12:49 PM »
Thanks for the info I'm not really wanting it to look 100% I'm building this on a budget and tbf I think I've done not a bad job so far I've made steering column with no problems works just fine I've bought a little vintage steering wheel for only £5 and I think it's very close to the toylander one you guys may think different but as I said I'm on a budget and will take anything I can get if will do the job and look half decent to me I know my little lad won't be worried how it looks as long as it works as intended I will upload pictures for you all to see once it's all fitted up 😀

Daza1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2019, 05:15:43 PM »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2019, 07:23:44 AM »

Hi Daz Its not that expensive to build a beauty. When I built my very first build back in 2012 my 2 boys were very young and money was tight. I just ordered the parts I needed from Toylander on a monthly basis.

Took me 6 month and cost about £1000, wifey thought I was mad until she seen the finished result, because it was a nice build after 5 years when my boys were bored of it I sold it for £1500, despite it having been well used it was still like new but I got back even penny it cost me and made £500
« Last Edit: 15 March, 2019, 07:44:52 AM by dad needs a hobby »

Ant-G

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »
Your boy is the customer- so as long as he’s happy then there is no issue.
That’s what building toylanders is about

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 March, 2019, 10:34:22 AM »
Your boy is the customer- so as long as he’s happy then there is no issue.
That’s what building toylanders is about
Yep 100% true

Daza1234

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 March, 2019, 05:10:08 PM »
And here's me thinking I was taking ages to build mine I'm waiting on steel coming for the pivot axel and steering column

jr2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2019, 05:18:01 PM »
When I showed my Series 1 at an exhibition the kids who sat in it all day turning the steering wheel caused the bulkhead bracket to break off. When I re-did it I welded a curved piece cut from a slightly larger tube to the bracket then welded that to the steering tube. This allowed a greater area of welding to the steering tube without distorting it, whilst the bracket could be heavily welded on to the tube section. I hope that description makes sense - I'll try to dig out a photo.