Author Topic: My first toylander build. TL3  (Read 146 times)

59joe

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
My first toylander build. TL3
« on: 02 February, 2019, 09:39:38 AM »
Hi All,
I bought my plans in May 2018 but didn't start to build till October as the summer is busy with beekeeping,model plane flying and gardening. This jeep is being built for my grandchildren of which there were three when I started and five now! Better get this one done and start on a trailer! I have bought a Rascal Voyager mobility scooter as the donor unit. It's an 8mph model so I'm going to mount the speed limiting pot under the bonnet so I can set the appropriate speed and lock it away from little hands. I've also found a key fob operated relay to shut it down remotely if there is an emergency or argument over who's turn it is.😤 I bought 3 sheets of mr mdf because I didn't know how tight it would be to get all the parts out of 2. I didn't need the third sheet at all! To start with I redrew all the parts on cad and did dxf files of each part. I'm lucky to have a neighbour who has a cnc router that I could use to cut the parts. ( I poured and finished his concrete shop floor. One hand washes the other.) All the mdf parts except the floor were cut using the router as it was too big.
Right, enough waffle, here's some pictures.
« Last Edit: 02 February, 2019, 10:20:33 AM by 59joe »
59joe
If you make something idiot proof someone will invent a better idiot!😋

59joe

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Re: My first toylander build. TL3
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2019, 09:45:08 AM »
Parts and plans ready to begin. Tip: number parts as you cut them for quick reference later. The plans are great but it would be helpful if the parts in the assembly drawings were numbered.
Floor with battens glued and screwed (a little salt stops parts from sliding in the glue)
Bulkhead fitted to floor.

Inner front wings fitted. I dry fit many of these parts as this was my first build and once glued they are permanent, right or wrong!

When fitting the inner front wings it's a good idea to cut some spacers to hold things square and at the right width. Check fit by holding front panel up to it. Proper planning prevents poor performance!

More pictures to come. Watch this space!
« Last Edit: 02 February, 2019, 10:22:43 AM by 59joe »
59joe

sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2019, 12:41:49 PM »
Hello Andy, looking good.plates are in the post, might be a couple of days cos we only had 2nd class stamp. Here's a pic of the plates on the glovebox lid. the lid was made from 4mm aluminium with the edges rounded off with a file them emery .
I used a quasar remote relay with 4 channels and you can have them momentary or latching, and it works at a good distance. I used a 4QD controller for the scooter motor, and although I fitted a disc brake on the drive shaft it's not needed because the controller has regenerative braking which is the dogs danglers.
I also fitted an engine sound generator which can also be switched off via the remote.

best regards  Mick

sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »
here it is

59joe

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2019, 03:50:24 PM »
Hi Sutty,
Thanks for the nomenclature. What sound generator did you fit? Does it sound right? Some I've heard are more like a diesel than the 4 cyl petrol that's in the jeep? I'd fit one if the sound was realistic. Any input would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Andy
59joe

sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »
I think I got them from Technobots site. There's a few different programs and also the ability to set your own, cylinders are from 1 to 6 petrol or diesel.
The speaker makes a big difference, it has a cranking sound when turned on and the horn sound cuts the engine sound when operated, the horn is programmable as well.
The only drawback is you have to have a separate linear pot to work it.

Regards.  Mick
« Last Edit: 03 February, 2019, 05:17:01 PM by sutty »

59joe

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2019, 05:25:13 PM »
Thanks Mick, I'll probably get finished building first and maybe add the sound later.
Regards, Andy
59joe

59joe

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2019, 06:29:18 PM »
Hi  all,
I have a few minutes so I'll add a few pictures.

Front axle is modified scooter axle.
More pictures to follow.
59joe

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2019, 07:05:16 AM »
Hi Joe
Wow thats a nice neat build so far

59joe

• Contributing Member