Author Topic: Remote emergency stop key fob  (Read 80 times)

59joe

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Remote emergency stop key fob
« on: 23 January, 2019, 10:26:40 PM »
Hi everyone.
I've been looking at ways to make an emergency stop that can be activated from a distance in case the toylander is going somewhere it shouldn't. I've found a key fob operated relay that will switch off the power to the ignition switch which will stop the motor and apply the mobility scooter brake. I haven't got it up and running yet so I don't know the actual range but the claim is 100m. Will try on bench test when I finish the wiring. Works with 12-24-36 volts input.
Hope this will help someone who is trying the same thing. Cost was about £12 on Amazon.
Regard, 59joe
59joe
If you make something idiot proof someone will invent a better idiot!😋

ThirdScale

• View Profile
Re: Remote emergency stop key fob
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2019, 09:57:45 PM »
I have one of these on mine too.
I initially used it in conjunction with a bigger relay to actually cut all powe thinking this would be a safer option. Sadly the main relay didn’t always like cutting power whilst motors were in use so it was a bit unreliable.using it to switch the scooter’s ignition switch is a more reliable way of stopping the vehicle even if it isn’t really a true ‘kill switch’.

In honesty I found the range pretty poor. My car is RC and the 2.4GHz range is as far as I can see.... the keyfob is not great.... maybe 20m plus or minus when the unit is sealed away. A little extra safety but not as good as I hoped.

59joe

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Re: Remote emergency stop key fob
« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2019, 05:33:40 PM »
Hi Thirdscale,
If you are using a 2.4gig radio control you should be able to use a switch hooked up to your receiver to cut the ignition. Failing that you could make a servo controlled switch to do the job. That way the range would be the same as your remote. Also depending on your radio gear you might be able to set preprogrammed fail safes to shut it down if there is a loss of signal. This is something we do on our remote control planes. On loss of signal the throttle is cut and plane circles until signal is reaquired or the plane hits terafirma. :(
Regards. 59joe
59joe
If you make something idiot proof someone will invent a better idiot!😋