Author Topic: Finished at last!  (Read 529 times)

Cliffy

  • Contributing Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
Finished at last!
« on: 28 December, 2018, 08:18:52 AM »
Hi all,

Well it's taken me two years to finish the TL2. Many thanks to all the members who gave their help and advice when things got a bit complicated. Also thanks to the folks at Toylander, for help with supplying parts all the way to Brisbane!  It was supposed to be ready for this Xmas but I hadn't quite finished painting the wheels.  I can't decide whether to put the spare wheel on the bonnet or not though. I think you'll agree that it looks a treat, too good to give to the kids!

Regards

Cliffy

Kev235

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
Re: Finished at last!
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2018, 11:14:01 AM »
Hi Cliffy

I really like the rear end detail on your build, in particular the silver trim to the corners complete with rivets,, they look raised are they built with metal as opposed to simply painting on with silver? if so how did you make them?

I also like the padded seats and satin look paint, adds to the realism.

What running gear are you using? and what are the nuts/screws on the wheels?

Great job!

Kev

jr2

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 434
    • View Profile
Re: Finished at last!
« Reply #2 on: 30 December, 2018, 04:44:31 PM »
Very nicely detailed - a credit to you.

Cliffy

  • Contributing Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
Re: Finished at last!
« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2019, 04:24:15 AM »
Hi again

A couple more pics (hopefully). The rear metal corners were formed from thin aluminium sheet. I first made a card template, with the fold lines marked, marked it onto the ali, then scored and folded the metal by hand (no hammer required!).  The curved section was bent round and then glued from inside with 24hr Araldite. Finally they were sprayed silver. The "rivets" are actually stainless steel self-tappers.

Running gear is from a secondhand Shoprider-type scooter, with chain drive to the rear wheels. I mounted the transaxle on sliding blocks to allow for chain adjustment. The wigwag control was modified into a foot throttle as per the advice from members, and it works! The dashboard has the original scooter "fuel gauge" and also the keyswitch incorporated. I have also fitted indicator repeater lamps, but had to manufacture a steering column direction indicator switch as I couldn't find one small enough.

The wheels are 16" steel barrow wheels, split-rim type, with five bolts. They are the nearest I could find to "proper" wheels. Originally bright red, I gave them a squirt of cream enamel paint. I welded the drive sprockets to the rims. Sprockets and chain are industrial-strength, sourced from a very helpful local bearing-supply shop.

The "Land Rover Solihull" badge was downloaded, printed onto card, then laminated with thin acrylic sheet (From cheapie photo frame)

Regards

Cliffy

Kev235

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
Re: Finished at last!
« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2019, 06:29:41 PM »
Hi Cliffy
Thanks for the details on how you made the rear panels, they look much more realistic than just painting silver.

Did you buy the wheels at Bunnings ? I have a mate that lives your way (Toowoomba), he was recently over in the UK and we had a chat about TL wheels as he is a fellow builder ! I found some on the Bunnings website that looked just the ticket.

Great job and thanks for sharing

Kev


Cliffy

  • Contributing Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
Re: Finished at last!
« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2019, 08:42:35 AM »
Hi Kev,

I looked at the Bunnings wheels but they were all too wide (from bearing face front to bearing face rear) to fit onto the TL axles. These came from down south, a place called Salvs Toolshed, which I found on Ebay, a really friendly and helpful supplier. Only about $39 (roughly 21 pounds) each, post free!

Thanks for your kind remarks.

Regards

Cliffy

jr2

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 434
    • View Profile
Re: Finished at last!
« Reply #6 on: 02 January, 2019, 12:49:20 PM »
I like your indicator switch - I fabricated an earlier type for my Series 2 Fire Engine - is your off the shelf or home made? Can you  put a better picture of it up?

Cliffy

  • Contributing Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
Re: Finished at last!
« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2019, 02:44:18 AM »
Hi jr2

The indicator switch is home-made, and a bit crude but as it works, and I haven't been able to source a small switch, it'll have to do!

It's made from a cupboard knob sliced in half, then fitted with two clamping screws to secure it to the column. A space was cut in one side and a miniature DPDT centre-off switch glued in. The switch arm is a section of telescopic radio aerial from my junk box. The knob on the end was turned down in the pillar drill from a piece of dowel.

I'm not sure it's robust enough to be kid-proof though! Time will tell.

Regards

Cliffy

jr2

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 434
    • View Profile
Re: Finished at last!
« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:57:01 AM »
Nice work - certainly looks the part.