Author Topic: My build No 14  (Read 1627 times)

TBirdUK

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Re: My build No 14
« Reply #75 on: 11 March, 2019, 10:57:09 PM »
thanks, I thought that would be the solution, I was hoping I would be able to make a sleeve that could be held onto the wheel by a nut, but guess the welding option would be the best way ahead - Dad has a mig welder but unfortunately I've not been able to find a friendly machinist to make the sleeve with a key.

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:03:58 AM »
thanks, I thought that would be the solution, I was hoping I would be able to make a sleeve that could be held onto the wheel by a nut, but guess the welding option would be the best way ahead - Dad has a mig welder but unfortunately I've not been able to find a friendly machinist to make the sleeve with a key.
Hi TBird I think Joe has said it all really.

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:06:34 AM »
Hi Chaps
Still plodding on, Dashboard and windscreen infills fitted last night. Iv fitted the decals onto the dash panel (put on wet till happy with position then push the water out) then fitted the dash panel. This panel has now been taken back of for buttons switches etc to be fitted.

Looks good so far. I always think a nice interior makes a massive difference to the overall appearance

« Last Edit: 12 March, 2019, 07:19:41 AM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:07:44 AM »
Also greased the front wheels and fitted the caps.

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:10:30 AM »
Wiring loom from the scooter in, looks a bit messy just yet but once iv got it working I tidy it up and secure it to the floor so it doesn't rattle about.

I never bother shortening the loom as under there is never seen also the least amount of messing about with the loom the better really unless you really know what your doing.

« Last Edit: 12 March, 2019, 07:20:42 AM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:18:33 AM »
Here is what ill be working on over the next few evenings

Everything removed from the scooters head unit to be fitted to the dash panel along with the Toylander horn switch, indicator switch and headlight switch.

All my connection for the scooter LED, speed controller and key are soldered then covered in heat shrink back onto the short bit of the loom with the red multi pin connector, this then simply plugs back into the main scooter loom. I am always super super strict with myself when joining wires as its not something i want to cause me problems or have to go back at a later date and fix.

An interesting thing on some of these shop riders: the black and white wires that come directly out of the red multi pin connector goes to a separate potentiometer that is hidden behind the casing of the scooter. I think this is so the max speed of the scooter can be set depending on which country its going to. In the UK these are set to max. I cut these off then join those two wires as the main potentiometer is enough.

« Last Edit: 12 March, 2019, 07:25:28 AM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 14 March, 2019, 07:05:13 AM »
Hi Chaps
got all the buttons and switches fitted to the dash panel and fitted the LED display unit from the shoprider between the clocks as I always do.

Im not sure iv ever explained how I do this.  I carefully remove the LED and housing front the scooters head unit. I then trim off the part of the housing that is like a little pram roof canopy.

I sand it smooth and also remove the clear window film I then cover it with black vinyl cut the window opening then cover the whole lot with clear vinyl.

Cutting the hole in the dash panel for it to fit into is the longest part.

the knob in the centre of the left hand clock is the max speed controller from the scooter

« Last Edit: 14 March, 2019, 11:29:40 AM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 14 March, 2019, 07:13:26 AM »
Here it is all wired up at the back.

Looks more complex that it is. Its basically in two parts. Scooter and switches.

The switches for the lights, horn and indicators will run off a feed from one of the 12volt batteries, I bring the feed in onto the horn button then ring it off onto the light switch then off that to the indicator switch.

The scooter wiring all gets soldered back onto the scooter loom (red multi pin) apart from the 3 wig wag wires that I lengthen to go to the block connector on the bulkhead that's is leading to the wig wag.

« Last Edit: 14 March, 2019, 11:31:34 AM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 14 March, 2019, 07:16:35 AM »
Here is one of it attached to the dash and all the wires leading into the front.

Just got to attach the 3 wig wag wires and the batteries then its a case of turning the key. Ill do that this evening

Despite this being build number 14..... I still get very apprehensive about this bit.... fingers crossed

« Last Edit: 14 March, 2019, 03:36:48 PM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 15 March, 2019, 07:04:09 AM »
Hi Chaps
Turned the key last night and it worked first time. As you can see in the pic the batteries are in the cab area for now as they are using the unmodified scooter leads for now.

I always test it like this before I start lengthening  the battery leads.

Now I know it works the next job is to fit battery rails up front then lengthen the battery leads.

As always here is a pic.

« Last Edit: 15 March, 2019, 07:06:20 AM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 15 March, 2019, 07:11:34 AM »
Here is the wiring for the scooter part in place.

The 2 unused white multi pin connectors were for the scooters ancillaries. As I mentioned before I don't like chopping into the scooters loom.  My knowledge of electronics is very limited so I feel safe just leaving them on and as these will never be seen Iv just hot glued them to the bulk head so they dont rattle about.

The other wires to the right are for the switches etc. most of these will go to a block connector on the inner wing.

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 18 March, 2019, 07:01:36 AM »
Hi Chaps
Not a massive amount done over the weekend. Battery rails made and fitted, battery cables extended so the batteries now fitted under the bonnet.

Also started wiring the lights etc. this will probably take an evening or two then Its painting the seats.

as always here is a pic

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 19 March, 2019, 06:59:01 AM »
Hi Chaps,
All the lights working now so apart from the horn which ill fit and wire tonight all the electrics are done.

Got a day off work tomorrow so Ill probably get the seats painted.

as always here is a pic

« Last Edit: 19 March, 2019, 11:59:21 AM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 21 March, 2019, 07:23:54 AM »
Hi Chaps
Down to the few final jobs now. Maybe ready for its maiden voyage on saturday

Sprayed the seats  and wire covers yesterday, just the back of the upright back to do then flat and buff them, also made the dummy door handles, ill get these glued on tonight.

as always here is a pic