Author Topic: My build No 14  (Read 781 times)

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
Re: My build No 14
« Reply #30 on: 04 February, 2019, 07:25:44 AM »
Here it is with the all guide coat wet sanded off with some 600 grit. just the back panel to do. To get the guide coat off took about 2.5 hours.

I never guide coating inside the tub just a dry 600 grit sand does well for that.

Next stage is to get the spray gun out again and lightly spot prime the areas that needed that bit extra work and also the few little little rub through areas. Once that has dried ill lightly sand those bits with the 600 grit then its ready for top coat that ill probably do on Saturday.

People regularly ask me how I get my paint work so good. Lots of time and hard work!

It really is 90% prep 10% paint and the better you can get this stage the better your top coat is going to be.

« Last Edit: 04 February, 2019, 11:34:19 AM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 February, 2019, 07:07:37 AM »
Hi Chaps
Still working towards getting it top coated on saturday.

Outside of bonnet guide coated then flatted off with some 3M 600 grit wet and dry, same with the tail gate and the tranny tunnel top.

Tub all flatted and the rub through areas spot primed.

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 February, 2019, 07:09:19 AM »
Tub completely ready for top coat now.

Just need a wipe over with some panel wipe then tack rag.

I do this just before painting.

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 February, 2019, 07:13:55 AM »
Bought the paint yesterday 1 Ltr LR Marine blue 2K direct gloss and half Ltr gloss black direct gloss 2K for seats.

Some 2K fast hardener and some 2K fast thinners

Also bought another white foam buffing head as my current one is falling apart.

£117!  the thinners and hardener and foam head will last for another build but even so its not cheap,

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 February, 2019, 07:11:44 AM »
Hi Chaps
Managed to get the top coat on on saturday and flat and buff passenger side and wing top on sunday evening.

the 3 coats of paint went on great with only 1 tiny sag that will easily flat out. I give the workshop a mega clean again the night before painting and also wet the floor before painting
so there was hardly any nibs to flat out.

Although the orange peel was no more than factory I still like to flat the whole outside with 1200 grit till is smooth then buff it with a white foam head with G3 then  black foam head with 3M finesse.

« Last Edit: 11 February, 2019, 09:49:05 AM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 February, 2019, 07:13:14 AM »
here is the tailgate straight out of the gun.  Not bad but will look better once its been flatted with the 1200 and iv had my mini buffer on it.

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 February, 2019, 07:16:17 AM »
Here is the wing top buffed and done. In my mind the wing tops are probably one of the most light reflecting parts.

to get the whole outside of the tub like that plus the bonnet and tailgate will probably take me about 4 hours, so a good few evenings in the workshop.

« Last Edit: 11 February, 2019, 04:28:40 PM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 February, 2019, 07:08:27 AM »
Hi Chaps
Not a lot too report just a bit more flatting and buffing on the tub last night. front panel, apron and bulkhead done. Oh ye and also the back panel.

To speed things up on the bigger flat panels like the sides, wing tops, fronts and back panel Iv been flatting with my DA sander with 1200 grit dry. Unless you've done it a few times its not something id recommend to a newbie as its easy to get to close to the edge an go through the paint, but if your careful you should be ok.

Dont know if you can see in this pic but I have gone through slightly on the bottom right edge on the back panel but not by trying not to because only the inside tailgate edges on the back panel will be body colour after iv done the satin black at the bottom and the silver light panels.

« Last Edit: 12 February, 2019, 04:50:52 PM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15 February, 2019, 08:17:54 AM »
Hi Chaps
Outside of tub all flatted and buffed. tranny tunnel top buffed and half of bonnet done.

Iv been dragging my feet again and having a few evenings off.

jr2

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 February, 2019, 08:26:40 AM »
Lovely job as usual