Author Topic: My build No 14  (Read 365 times)

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
My build No 14
« on: 16 November, 2018, 12:01:56 PM »
Hi Chaps
Not really planning on making a start till January on what will be a Marine Blue one with limestone wheels and stripes like my red no 12 build.

Dont have anything special planned so its just going to be one of the same.

Iv already bought the scooter. As you know I always use these Shoprider Sovereigns although the price of decent used once seem to be going up a bit.

This one cost me £150 (the most ill ever pay) but the fact it comes with brand new batteries and was only an hour away makes it a decent buy.

I usually put brand new batteries on all my builds at a cost of £88.00 so the fact I wont have to on this one means iv got the scooter for £62!

If im not being lazy I can usually get about £20 - £30 back selling some of the parts I take off on eBay. Half the time tho I can never be bothered and landfill the bits I dont use.

as always here is a pic

« Last Edit: 16 November, 2018, 12:04:42 PM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
Re: My build No 14
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:56:30 AM »
Hi Chaps
Still not really starting until January as I am helping my mate do some work on his 1930 singer junior but I have sneaked in the workshop for an hour here and there and started cutting out some panels

Probably about half way through. I like to start with the most complex panels first.

I always lay them flat after Iv cut them as Iv found standing them up for any length of time causes them to warp.

« Last Edit: 06 December, 2018, 04:50:39 PM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2019, 01:30:39 PM »
Hi Chaps
Done a little bit in the workshop over the holidays

Tub made, windscreen made and fitted, bonnet fitted, tailgate fitted (just needs backing), seats fitted and tranny tunnel made.

For the wing infills I went back to using 1 solid block of wood. On my last build no 13 using Daz'z method of separate MDF infill pieces didn't stop the lines appearing eventually.

On this build im going to chamber the hard edges slightly on the wing top and wing front panels so the filler is feathered out rather than being a flush edge. May help may not but at the end of the day iv said this before, slights lines will not detract from a nice build as genuine Landys have the lines too.

as always here are some pics

« Last Edit: 03 January, 2019, 01:37:31 PM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2019, 01:31:56 PM »
here is one from the back, not fitted the scooter charging port on the motor casing panel yet as Iv not stripped the scooter.

« Last Edit: 03 January, 2019, 04:55:07 PM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2019, 01:38:01 PM »
Inside

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2019, 07:06:41 AM »
Hi Chaps
Did a little bit in the workshop on Wednesday.

Made the dashboard, fitted the grill and glued the aluminium sheet to the tailgate. Also went to see my engineering wizard Bill to see how the steering is coming along. Its 99% complete.

Going to strip the scooter down this weekend.

As always here are some pics

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2019, 07:09:39 AM »
Here is one showing how I do the dashboards.

I screw down the top and bottom rails onto the workbench then pin and glue the end pieces on, then glue and clamp the middle pieces. I continualy check for squareness along the way.

As you can see I use a but of grease paper to stop it getting stuck too the bench lol.

« Last Edit: 11 January, 2019, 07:13:02 AM by dad needs a hobby »

Kev235

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2019, 05:36:42 PM »
Hi Peter
Great progress, unfortunately I have had not time this weekend to work on mine. I see already you are in front of me in the build and I started in August!

I can see your bonnet is fitting perfectly, what a job I had with that! I guess its down to practice.

I like the sound of your colour scheme, looking forward to seeing the finished product, no doubt well before you see mine finished!

All the best
Kev

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:03:18 AM »
Hi Peter
Great progress, unfortunately I have had not time this weekend to work on mine. I see already you are in front of me in the build and I started in August!

I can see your bonnet is fitting perfectly, what a job I had with that! I guess its down to practice.

I like the sound of your colour scheme, looking forward to seeing the finished product, no doubt well before you see mine finished!

All the best
Kev
Thanks Kev, its like anything the more you so it the better you get lol/

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:09:02 AM »
Hi Chaps
Managed to get back in the saddle so to speak and made a bit more progress

Dashboard has been fitted and removed, iv also removed everything off the tub. My engineering wizard brought round the steering he has made. Its basically the same as the toylander set up but slightly more heavy duty. Iv had it on then off to paint the floor with the Buzzweld chassis black. Just under the arches to do.

Forgot to attached a pic of the tailgate backed with the thin sheet of aluminium. Its actually an offset print plate. i work as a graphic designer at a printers lol

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:11:04 AM »
Here is one of where I'm up to on the floor. I ran out of the black chassis paint so got some more on order then Ill do under the arches

when I come to spray the top coat on my builds i usually mask off the whole underneath but it take ages. I may not do that this time then just repaint under the arches black to cover any paint that gets in there. May be a faster way to do it as there is never a ton of paint gets under there to be honest.

« Last Edit: 14 January, 2019, 07:13:26 AM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:16:56 AM »
Also managed to strip down the scooter and pass the motor and transaxle to Bill my engineering friend. He will make the wheel adaptors and mounting brackets as is the norm on my builds.

Iv also made the mounting block for the wig wag wag that will become the accelerator.

Did this as I always do with some 18mm MDF. Simple, works a treat and takes about 30 mins to make

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:19:40 AM »
Before I forget here is a picture of the steering in situ

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice the longer bolt for the steering arm is on the wrong side for now

« Last Edit: 14 January, 2019, 11:35:00 AM by dad needs a hobby »

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 January, 2019, 07:18:36 AM »
Hi Chaps
Last night saw me do a couple of little jobs. Fitted the charging port from the scooter in the centre of the motor closing panel. I also fitted the head lights.

I struggled on my first couple of builds getting the headlights in and it was a lengthy process. This was mainly down to the fact that the lugs that the screws go in of the from panel are too big and need trimming for the headlights to fit flush to the body.

Due to the fact I done it so many times now I have it down to a fine art.

1. I file off the square lug off the bottom of the actual headlight, its not needed and just means more work on the front panel if left on.

2. I offer up the headlight to the panel as far as it will go in then I poke through the holes with my bradawl.

3. I then trim the lugs a little at a time till the head light fits flush to the body. ONLY trim the lugs closer to the bradawl holes not the actual hole for the headliight.

4. I drill 2.5mm holes where the bradawl marks are for the screws

5. Screw them on quite tight till the cant rock.

PS dont worry about the lugs being neat as they are never seen

Hope this helps

Iv found the fastest tool for trimming the lugs is a serrated drill bit. The reason the head lights used to take me ages before was because I was trying to sand the lugs smaller but there it too much meat needs to come off for that.

as always here are some pics

« Last Edit: 15 January, 2019, 07:23:09 AM by dad needs a hobby »

Kev235

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »
Hi Peter
I am using a Pride for the electrics, which has a reset button sitting next to recharge plug, I was going to fit the reset next to the recharge plug, but worried that little fingers will fiddle with it to much. Does the shoprider have a reset button and where do you fit it?

Bonnets, it seems I have spent hours looking at every ones bonnet gaps! I look at yours on this build and your gaps are perfect. I have now hinged my bonnet, which was centralized and glued using your method, but my gaps are not as tight and even. As Ed China would say is "fettling" required for the perfect fit. I ask as the bonnet arrives in a flimsy box and can easily get squashed etc, and I wonder if it is normal to have to bend it a bit to get it perfect.

Anyway enough of my dribble, looking good Peter.

Kev