Author Topic: Hello! Building a non-toylander Jeep  (Read 409 times)

Rob_01

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Hello! Building a non-toylander Jeep
« on: 21 September, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »
Hello all, I am new to the forum. I am about to start building a Jeep for my kids although it is not a Toylander kit. I have been looking for a Jeep project for a while and found a body and chassis on EBay a few weeks ago. The body is made of a thick but flexible plastic and the chassis is steel. Overall length is just over 6 foot. There is a lot of work to do including major modifications to the chassis which is not original to the body. I also plan to make a fiberglass copy of the body as there are some changes I want to make. The end goal is to have a vehicle that resembles a Jeep Wrangler as much as possible. I'm hoping that although this is not a Toylander, I'm still ok to post details of the project here! Looking forward to getting started! Cheers, Rob.

TBirdUK

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello! Building a non-toylander Jeep
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2018, 08:03:58 PM »
Welcome, I am new here too - I think I saw that one on ebay, looks like a nice project, I went for an old Geepstar police jeep instead but only as I have more tools to work with wood!

Rob_01

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2018, 09:25:15 PM »
Hi, yes it was on Ebay twice over the last 4 weeks. I missed it first time round but managed to get it the second time. I built a fairly complex kitcar a few years ago so the welding, fabrication and body preparation is no problem although I have never had to make a fiberglass mould before.  I am also an electronics engineer by trade and so quite looking forward to the electrical side. Ill start a build thread when i get going to document progress. Good luck with your build!

TBirdUK

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
Cheers, mine is more of a refurbishment, although the number of pieces its in now, and the repairs to years of botching makes me think I  should have build from scratch - it will be fun, my boy tried some sanding today and the sander took off with him in tow  :D

Good luck with yours too, looked a nice piece of kit.

ThirdScale

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
Look forward to see g some pictures Rob!  :D

Rob_01

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »
This is going to be a bit of a slow burner and will take some time. I'm hoping to make a start on the chassis this year and get to the body next year when it has warmed up. If anyone has any tips or advice on making a mould of the body I'd be interested I  hearing it!

ThirdScale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2018, 09:55:24 PM »
Re GRP... I've used it a few times with various form generating techniques but only once have I taken a moulding from a plug and then moulded GRP from GRP!

It is a satisfying process when you get it right though.

My three tips are -
1) ensure you have a damn good release agent and it is thoroughly applied!
2) ensure that your final surface is not susceptible to breakdown by resins!
3) ensure there are no undercuts - however small as cured GRP really does not like to flex!

Rob_01

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2018, 07:21:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice (and sorry for the long delay in replying - I said that this would be a slow burner!). The fibre-glassing will be done next summer and I will read up a fair bit beforehand as I don't want to make a mess of it!

In the last week I have started building a template of the chassis in timber (to be converted to steel once everything is worked out).  I have a friend giving me a hand and the project has now escalated to include suspension (at least on the rear, but possibly front too). We also tested the electrics from the mobility scooter and it all seems to work OK.

Interestingly, I found out where the body came from; It appears to be a pedal go-kart in the form of a willy's Jeep (although the chassis that I have has been got-at and is a bit of a mess. As above we're building a whole new chassis with a different design). It will look a little different by the time I have finished, (to match the Jeep Wrangler as much as possible). The original product is here:
https://www.skelters.nl/mammoet/jeep-4x4-p-157.html

I must start a build thread soon.....