Author Topic: Hi from Lincolnshire  (Read 2140 times)

MK1 GIT

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Hi from Lincolnshire
« on: 23 April, 2016, 08:28:56 PM »
Hi Everybody,

Just joined to look for advice, inspiration and research stuff for my boys toylander build. Just finished a house move so now have the space to build and am just picking up the few tools I don't have but need.

Gleaned a lot of useful stuff so far but still haven't decided on which one to build. Thinking TL1 but not 100% sure. Also thinking buy everything to build from toylander rather than go down the scooter method but willing to be swayed the other way.

First problem is the massive slope in the garage where I was going to build if anyone has any suggestions? Best way to describe it is its two bricks lower at the door of the garage to the rear.
Will this be a problem when assembling?

Was also thinking of getting a compressor and using air tools as well as attempting to spray the car and parts myself.

I am a time served machinist and have access to a lathe and pillar drill and now have a job that involves all tools and mechanics and electrics so confident I can manage the job. Only thing I am worried about is I have pretty bad OCD when it comes to things I make/build/fix.

Build thread to follow when I start but that'll be a while as back to work for a few months so just research and buying the plans I hope.

Edit to add I also intend to do a build thread on Twitter. @Toylandercar

« Last Edit: 24 April, 2016, 02:20:21 PM by MK1 GIT »

Ant-G

• View Profile
Re: Hi from Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2016, 09:29:55 PM »
Hello

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build.

As you have probably gathered, there are many ways you can build a toylander.
Building a Factor toylander will be quicker with the advantage of knowing that everything was designed to bolt together if you follow the instructions.
If you want to mess about more then you can use a mobility scooter- and then it is up to you on how far you go away from the standard toylander.
If you go down the scooter route you really need a medium size donor (shoprider or pride) with 34Ahr batteries. The scooter route is generally cheaper I think.
We built with a scooter and used the scooter drivetrain and electric brake. Looking back, I would have fitted an  independent brake.......
A point to note is that, strictly speaking, if a Toylander is capable of more than 4mph it is no longer classed as a pavement legal vehicle.

An uneven floor shouldn't be an issue as in the build you are ensuring panels are square or level with each other.

Our toylander ran round in undercoat for quite a while. It was then that I realised that I was building it to be used by a 3yr old across fields, through woods, at shows......and that if I went for the concourse finish I'd become a nervous wreck. In the end it still looked smart, but usable on the outside, and the mechanics & electrics were more on the ocd side- a happy compromise!

Anthony

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2016, 07:39:29 AM »
Hi there, I'm Peter (Dad needs a hobby)

My advice would defo be to build in on a scooter. The fact you are a machinist means you could fabricate some mounts up very easily for the motor transaxle. If you look at my builds you can see how mine are done.

It works out cheaper plus does away the need for a seperate brake pedal making it easier for young kids to drive.

Id defo advise against fully building and using it while its still in undercoat for 2 reasons. 1 there is a chance the primer will be damaged before you get the top coat on therefore you will need to prep it again. 2. To do a paint job your OCD will let you be happy with mean having to strip everything off the tub and if you have got it to fully operational stage thats a lot of stuff.

I too have OCD when it comes to building these little cars and can never understand it when people say thing like, "usable" and "kids toy", build it as best you can without compromise. If you don't feel confident spraying it, prep it yourself then facter into your budget about £120 for getting a local body shop to put the top coat on. They love painting things out of the ordinary so will only be too pleased to help. It will be worth it in the end especially if you come to sell it.

Peter
« Last Edit: 25 April, 2016, 07:41:48 AM by dad needs a hobby »

Ant-G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
Hello

As we didn't build to the book we ran in undercoat to ensure that the Toylander worked as it should and iron out any little niggles (particularly steering geometry - as I wanted to maximise the amount of front axle movement whilst limiting the amount of bump steer). I would recommend fitting a
It was during this 'testing' that my 3yr old encountered a tree that jumped out infront of him (his words), off roading through woods, etc. and realized that if I went for my original plan of Rolls-Royce paint finish I would become a nervous wreck. The body was well prepped and we went for eggshell applied with gloss roller - the final finish having less orange peel than the 'real' Land Rovers.
I fully respect the amount of effort and level of detail that some people put into
their vehicles (I think someone on here even made fully working gauges)- but it is the same as when you go to classic car show and see the difference between the concours and everyday-used cars. You build what is right for you.

If/when we build another one we will use the mobility scooter again. The inbuilt brake is useful driving aid for the younger drivers and as they get older fitting a brake system (either Toylander  or bike discs)will give the child a more realistic driving experience - and an engineering challenge (again, there are some pretty amazing pedal setups on some of the builds on here)

Just build it how you want it - off the shelf parts or extreme engineering masterpiece (like the 4WD Jeep), painted at the local Rolls Royce body shop  or a Mater replica - or, normally, something inbetween....the choice is yous - as long as you and your kids enjoy it it doesn't really matter....and post some pictures on here!

Anthony

MK1 GIT

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Lincolnshir
« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2016, 10:15:18 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and reply guys.

I quite like the scooter idea so will look into that. I've read all your build threads on here Peter, a source of much inspiration and advice.

Is there much else to look at when considering which scooter to buy?

I think my OCD will be more in the build and wiring etc... and yes the finish but I accept that the boy will drive it into most things that he can.

Paul

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2016, 03:19:03 PM »
Hi Paul

Thanks for the kind words regarding my build threads, Im never sure if many people read them, I hope so and that they encourage people to have a go. As I always say, if I can do it anyone can!

Not a lot of advice I can give scooter wise. Just make sure its full operational as they can be expensive to repair. As Anthony said they need to be the bigger ones. Ignore body damage as all that doesn't get used.

I like to go for shopriders, Rascal or Prides. make sure they have a charger with it as can cost about £30 if it haven't.

I look to pay about £120 tops. Its hard to tell how good the batteries are until you start using it but a decent set of Lucas 35ah is about £90 for 2 so its not the end of the world if the batteries need changing eventually.

Keep an eye on eBay.

good luck please keep us posted  with pics and progress report.

Peter

MK1 GIT

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2018, 03:54:37 PM »
So I’m finally ready to start going to order pre cut panels to start. Due to my job I’m going to try and do a stage every leave. I. Thinking order panels and get the body built this time. Is that a sensible way to do it or do I need the ‘mechanical parts’ (still haven’t found a scooter so maybe going down the blight motors route). Thinking just buy the body panels now and build the tub. Next leave I’ll eother have found a scooter or will buy from toylander. Keep options open.

Thanks for any advice.

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2018, 04:42:32 PM »
H Paul
Welcome back, buying a panel set is a great idea. I did that on build no 3 I think it was. The panels are 100% accurate so what ever model you go for it should
be easy to put together.

Im looking forward to seeing your progress.

Peter

MK1 GIT

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
Thanks Peter.

Job and birth of second child (have to build two now right?) has kind of put plans on hold till now.

Panel and batten set ordered this morning.  Also seen this which is quite near to me. Freerider I think. Are these any good as donors? There’s a cheaper one also as it has the seat missing which may be worth a look at I think.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223038761439

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 July, 2018, 04:55:27 PM »
not used one of those so cant comment

MK1 GIT

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »
Ok. I’m currently winning on a shop rider scooter on eBay and also the panel kit turned up today. Be a week or so before I get into it though.

dad needs a hobby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:05:22 AM »
Exciting times.

If your keeping the toylaner for your own use I hang on buying new batteries, they maybe ok. As I sell mine if the batteries aren't new i always replace them.
Im looking forward to your diary
good luck on the scooter I hope you win it

Peter

MK1 GIT

• Contributing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 January, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »
Slowest build ever but I picked up a Shoprider today. All working with charger. Obviously back off to work again next week but progress none the less. Would say watch this space but don’t bother. It’ll be a while yet.....