Author Topic: Mini Toylander  (Read 77762 times)

dickyb2001

• View Profile
Re: Mini Toylander
« Reply #255 on: 07 September, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
Nursery Leavers Picnic
Alexander's year group at pre-school had a summer get together picnic in a local park before they all go in different ways when starting school this month. We spent quite a bit of the afternoon giving all his friends rides in the Landy & trailer usually with 4 in at once. It’s the biggest group we’ve ever entertained at once with about 15 in total. We had the odd melt down over whose turn it was to sit where but generally kept them all happy and ended up having one of the best days out in it ever.

dickyb2001

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 07 September, 2018, 12:00:13 PM »
Kelmarsh Land Rover Show
Kelmarsh as always has the biggest turnout of the year and this year was no exception. We met the usual show going friends, we met Iain and son Ben from the Gaydon show with theirs now painted & finished and then one new family group with a great story of their newly completed “barn find”. Their dad abandoned project whilst they were little and then the now older grown up children discovered it in storage and thought it too good to leave unfinished, so completed it over the summer and are planning on passing it on to younger cousins. But they’ve had so much fun building it (and driving round the show themselves!) they plan to build another!

dickyb2001

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 07 September, 2018, 08:25:20 PM »
The organisers of the Mini Me Drivers Club put on a great little trials course for the young ones (and a not so younger one from the team mentioned above) to drive with a timed trial competition. Great fun to watch with some fantastic driving by some under 10’s with genuine determination to get the quickest time.

dickyb2001

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 07 September, 2018, 08:38:45 PM »
Alexander loved riding the course in our little landy with favourites being the seesaw ramp and the slatted track, basically anything that bumps and wobbles him about a bit! So come on Toylander owners & drivers, we'd love to see more of you join us next year! We're even kicking ideas about of doing a trials for adult drivers in Toylanders if we have a bit of interest!

And despite tuning a bit wet on the Sunday (the only wet day in WEEKS!), there was still a good turnout of Toylanders to rerun the trials course. We finished the day with Alexander and Ben swapping rides. I not sure who loved the ride in the full sized Toylander more, Alexander or my wife Celia. But I’ve been told I need to get back in the shed and build the bigger one by both of them! And the wet weather led to mud so it didn't feel like Kelmarsh without a landy in the mud photo!
« Last Edit: 07 September, 2018, 10:54:00 PM by dickyb2001 »

dickyb2001

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 08 March, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »
Well, before I start a new custom project topic of my latest build (I’m going off on a Rover tangent with this one) I thought I’d post a few updates from the second half of last year.

As an end of summer treat for us all, we went to our first Carfest festival. Three days of glamping, cars, food & music & activities for kids all in aid of raising money for the BBC’s Children in Need charity. Having read that pull along “festival carts” are a popular thing for parents with young children at festivals these days (so much so that there is an official company renting them out at Carfest) we thought we’d convert the trailer into a Carfest themed roofed wagon / Pudsey mobile.

So, a few internet shopping clicks later for some 25mm PVC tube & push fit fittings and we had a simple push together box frame with a plywood top for a bit more rigidity and somewhere to mount lights. I left the vertical poles unglued to it can be stripped down & flat packed. For the canopy, I went to a local printing shop and got them to do a couple of large yellow rectangles with a high res copy of the Carfest logo and three other rectangles out of outdoor PVC banner material all for less than £50. We (calling on the wife’s sewing skills again) then stitched it together with zips in the corners so each side panel can be rolled up and there’s a seam along the bottom with a magnetic strip in so it sticks to the trailer sides when the panels are down. The banner material is very easy to work with, sews well and can even be solvent bonded as I added some reinforcing patches on the top corners. A couple of cable hangers allow the trailers rear panel to fold flat and extend the floor space & allow Alexanders legs to stick out. For inside there’s a foam filled base cushion, remote controlled colour changing LED lighting and a cushion and blanket! All in all, quite cosy! Oh, and we added a few Land Rover 70th anniversary flags too!

dickyb2001

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 11 March, 2019, 11:43:25 AM »
Carfest was great although we didn't get the chance to make the most of it as we had some wet weather over the weekend. The only other wet weather of the entire record breaking hot dry summer other than the Kelmarsh LR show!!!

Veronica of the Landy & Fender books had a stall there. We were a bit disappointed that we'd never made it over to her stand with our little Landy but a couple of other festival going families had taken their Toylanders and parked them at her stall on the Friday whilst they went for a wander on foot which proved a real attention grabber for her.

It did dry up enough on the Saturday to get out our Pudsey Mobile. We got a lot of attention in the glamping area before we headed out onto the festival site with quite a few festival goers and crew asking about the Landy. As usual I pointed them to the Toylander website, here and our Mini Mes facebook page.

dickyb2001

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 11 March, 2019, 11:45:07 AM »
Then we headed over to the rear of the main stage area and we turned a lot of heads with Pudsey driving! We were stopped for quite a few photos! Alexander seemed more interested in the inflight entertainment (an in car DVD player screen) that any of the acts on stage, although he did have a bit of a boogie to a few Faithless dance tracks on the way back to the campsite with his LED lighting on full party mode!