Author Topic: Building a Lil'Defender in the USA (based on the TL2)  (Read 22791 times)

MonLand

• View Profile
Re: Building a Lil'Defender in the USA (based on the TL2)
« Reply #30 on: 09 September, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
You may come to wish you'd done a mechanically standard build!
And "absolutely" to that.... I must have written this in the past year somewhere on this forum....
-- "This will take 2 months top to build"

jr

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 September, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »
I have worries about loss of tension - with the idlers positioned after the wheel drive pulleys (in forward drive) may mean that you will need huge tension on the idlers to keep power at the wheels? I suppose that with careful positioning of the motor(s) the system could be self tensioning, but you would have to get the radii spot on.
Best of luck with this one!
Have wondered if it's possible to adapt a m/scooter transaxle for front wheels by replacing the motor with a bevel drive and driveshaft to body mounted motor?
John

MonLand

• View Profile
September 2013 - Accelerator pedal
« Reply #32 on: 17 September, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »
Got a chance to work on the accelerator pedal over the weekend. I've been looking for the hinge portion of it and figured I would create a spring-loaded hinge. I got the spring for a set of $1 set of 3 spring-loaded plastic clips. Then I used piece of the (future) aluminum trim for the body to make the hinge. Spring mechanism is looking strong enough, hinge is definitely strong enough and will be lightweight! :)

MonLand

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 October, 2014, 03:26:21 AM »
Can't believe it's been about one year since my last update!
Anyway....
I got 85% of the body done I think by now. Started testing how to paint this thing. I attempted three paths, not sure which one I'll take next:
   - regular paint primer (applied with a regular brush, won't do this again)
   - sanding sealer (applied with a foam brush, worked out ok, probably could have used a regular brush...)
   - automotive primer (spray painted, went on smooth, 2 coats right now)
I think I'll go with sanding primer + automotive primer.

Here is a pic where I applied the automotive primer only (rear part of the tub, front grill was brushed primer + black spray paint). For whoever has never applied sanding sealer before: you really need to sand it good. Otherwise, the paint will not adhere to it and you will end up with lizard skin.... Don't ask how I know....

Steering is proven to be pretty sensitive. Broke the small 9-tooth sprocket already.... Then the weld that was helping the arm to the larger sprocket failed (bad craftsmanship on that one). Anyway.... All fixed but I'm worried about the next "road test"! I might have to go to a rack&pinion (stronger) setup. Cost is what has held me back on this front so far. I put a little more air in the tires to help a little.
« Last Edit: 12 October, 2014, 04:18:10 AM by MonLand »

jr2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 November, 2014, 06:01:43 PM »
It's looking good - there is a lot of steering force required to move those big tyres - especially when the batteries are in place above them so steering components need to be really sturdy - I think I would use a commercial quadbike type rack in your position.
JohnR

MonLand

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 September, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
You may come to wish you'd done a mechanically standard build!
John, you could not be so right! My box kept breaking. Even with better craftsmanship, I think the size of the involved pieces to achieve the ration makes it too fragile!
After fixing the box two or three times, I decided to throw the towel and go with a go-kart steering box instead.

MonLand

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 September, 2018, 01:08:38 PM »
It's been a while but I actually resume work on the Toylander this summer. Remembering what the plans were is a job on its own!!!!
Anyway, I did a lot of wiring and a few other things:
  - mocked up the disk brake system using bike brakes as a starting point and made a pedal for it. I ordered the brake disks in China, so.... I'll get them in a "few" weeks.
  - installed the motor controllers (I blew the original wheel chair controller trying to build a hall effect "adapter" that would connect my accelerator pedal to the joystick).
  - Blew one of the controllers by not thinking and putting the charger on the batteries while by cut circuit was incorrectly positioned between the two batteries.....
  - got the turn signals with emergency/hazard switch wired up (kids love lights!!!)
  - got the headlights wired
  - I dreamt the stop/tail light-combination electrical setup and ordered the parts to make it happen (see diagram below). I did not want to look for dual filament bulbs that would fit the light housing I got. I'm surprised I did not find this in a few seconds on Google..... I probably had the wrong keywords. If you are curious, the circuit changes the rear stop/tail lights from a serial circuit (i.e. 6V at each light) to a parallel circuit (i.e. 12V at each lights) changing the power emitted. I will hook at the front

The steering shaft U-joint disappeared during the test drive last night, so I had to fix it. You can see the steering box in the front picture.

What's left?
  - disk brake installation (yes.... no brake at the moment! That makes for fun test events! ;) )
  - stop/tail light wiring
  - get some decent turn-signal stalk to hook at to the steering wheel
  - get new motor controllers and replace the damaged/dead ones
  - a "little bit" of body work to do (capping, rear door, rear area, windshield)
  - paint.... yes.... but after everything else is done!

Future projects
  - chain tensioner for rear wheel transmission
  - winch (that's going to be tricky.... I have a 12V winch and a 24V battery setup. don't want to hook it up to just one battery)
  - trailer
  - 4x4 setup (bring power to the front wheels from the rear using v-belts)